The checklist for your new kitchen
Good preparation is half the work. A new kitchen is not an everyday purchase, so it’s important that you make the right choices. Our step-by-step plan will help you get the best out of your new kitchen.
Make a list
You will already know what your current kitchen lacks or what you would like to have in your new kitchen. Make a list and bring it with you to the showroom. The information below will help you complete your list.
Measure the space
Before we can make a design we need accurate measurements. This can be a blueprint or a sketch where you have noted the measurements. It is often useful to have the measurements of neighbouring spaces, for example if part of the cabinet wall can be built in this space.
The most important measurements:
- Length and breadth of the room
- Ceiling height
- Position of doors and windows and the direction of opening
- Parapet height of windows
- Position of radiators
- Location of columns or other obstacles
- Approximate location of connection points (electric, gas, water)
It’s also useful tob ring photos if f the kitchen is tob e fitted in an existing home. In order to ensure that the kitchen will fit, a Koolschijn fitter will always measure the space before we place your final order.
Look and feel
The look and feel of the kitchen is perhaps the most important consideration. You can use Pinterest or similar, to collect images that convey the look and feel of your dream kitchen. Check out our Pinterest page.
- Style: for example modern, industrial, luxury or classic
- Gloss or matt?
- With or without handles?
- Thickness of the countertop
- Do you need upper cabinets?
- Setup (for example an island, high cupboard wall, L, or U kitchen)
- With or without (breakfast) bar?
- Gas or induction?
- Extractor above or in the hob?
- External or recirculation extraction
- Standard oven
- Steam oven
- Combi-oven (oven with microwave)
- Combi-Steam Oven (oven with steam function)
- Standard size (45 cm) or large (60 cm)
- Do you want to connect the oven to WIFI and control the oven with an app?
- How tall is your current fridge and is the space sufficient?
- Integrated or free standing?
- Do you want a freezer in the kitchen?
- How much freezer capacity do you require? Is the freezer compartment enough or do you need extra room?
- What size sink? Wide, narrow, single or double?
- Do you want a soap dispenser in the worktop?
- Normal tap or tap with hot water function?
- Standard tap or tap with flexble hose?
- Standard or high model?
- Cutlery tray or basket?
- Do you want a time indicator on the floor?
- Coffee machine
- Warming drawer
- Wine cooler
- Sparkling (cold) water
- Stainless steel
- Thin – 12 to 20 cm
- Thick – more than 20cm
Take the time
At Koolschijn we think it’s important that you have the time to make good choices. At your first appointment we will discuss your preference and make the design. At a follow up appointment we will take the time to go through the estimate and the design by way of a 3D drawing.
The checklist is purely an aid to make you aware of the possibilities. Our experienced consultants will show you different options. Also, in our showroom there are almost 30 show kitchens.Download the checklist